How to Sleep Better in 2020
Sleep is a restorative foundation for overall health. Unfortunately many of us do not get enough shut-eye, and this can directly affect our mental and physical health. Not getting enough sleep can leave us drained, run down, foggy headed and affect our mental well-being too. We’ve put together our top tips for better sleep in 2020…
- Keep a regular routine: Try to go to bed at the same time each night and rise at the same time, get your body into a regular routine to optimise the quality of your rest.
- Dim the lights: Our sleep hormone Melatonin is controlled by light exposure and regulates our sleep-wake cycle. Our brain secretes more melatonin when it is dark making us sleepy, and less in the light making us alert. Modern life and gadgets can affect our body’s melatonin production and circadian rhythms. Get outside during the daytime, and avoid bright screens and light in the bedroom during the evening.
- Food/Drinks: Avoid caffeine, large meals and alcohol before bed which can disrupt sleep. Have a healthy bedtime snack, or unwind with our Ashwadandha hot chocolate.
- Relax: Add in some meditation, journaling, a hot bath or some yoga in the evening to clear your head and allow your body and mind to relax and unwind.
- Adaptogens: Adaptogens work to bring the body into better balance, giving our body the power to better respond to various external stimuli. Adaptogenic herbs can help to promote relaxation. Ashwagandha can promote a deep sense of calm and encourage a deep, restful slumber. Holy Basil is also a fantastic herb for nervous system support and calm during times of stress.
Set the stage for a restful night with our top tips to get more sleep in 2020 to support your overall health and well-being.