Beat the Bloat with our Festive Digestive Tips
December can be a month for overindulgence. Parties and gatherings see us have our fill of rich foods and alcohol and it can leave you feeling as stuffed as the turkey. Indulgences over the festive season, as well as lack of sleep and change of routine can be a shock to the system, leaving you feeling heavy and bloated.It doesn’t need to be this way though as there are some easy swaps and tips you can employ to beat the bloat at this time of year…
Top tips to beat the bloat:
- Chew your Food: Slow down and eat your food slowly, make sure you are chewing your food thoroughly as digestion begins in the mouth. Ensuring you are eating slowly should also allow fullness signals to register so you don’t overdo it.
- Hydrate: Don’t avoid drinking water when you are bloated, try water flavoured with lemon or fresh mint leaves which will help to get things moving along and help you to stay hydrated.
- Digestive Teas: Start the day with lemon juice in hot water to get the system going and take your pick from ginger, peppermint, fennel and chamomile teas throughout the day which can help with digestive symptoms.
- Symbiotics: An imbalance in good and bad bacteria can exacerbate bloating and gassiness. Our kefir-kombucha fermented symbiotics will help to reset this balance in the favour of the good guys, as well as supporting your immune system through the season. Try our Tranquil fermented supplements with a range of microflora, enzymes and nutrients to support the health of the gut, alongside fennel and chamomile which are carminative herbs, and work effectively for digestive symptoms like bloating and gas.
- Herbal Supplements: Digestive soothing herbs like ginger, aloe vera and fennel are great choices to ease bloating and support digestion. Having ginger before, during or after a meal can support digestion- reducing inflammation and stimulating gastric juices that aid digestion. Chewing fennel seeds is also a long used remedy for gas and bloating- fennel is antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory helping to relax intestinal muscles.
- Pick your indulgences: Eat mindfully, and choose things you really enjoy. Know the foods that trigger bloating or discomfort for yourself and limit or avoid these. Stop eating when you are satisfied.
- Keep active: It can be difficult to stick to your usual routine at this time of year but being active helps to assist your digestive function, getting things moving and avoiding constipation. Movement can help gas to move through the system and ease bloating. Try to keep moving most days- a long walk with the family is a great choice.
- Stress less: Easier said than done at this time of year. Our digestive health is very closely linked to our brain, and when we are stressed this can throw our digestive system out of whack. Chronic stress can affect our cortisol levels, blood sugar levels and hormones leading to craving, constipation and bloating. Try to create a self care practice you can maintain through the season- meditation, yoga or time outdoors can help to reduce stress.
Using some of these tips should help to support your digestive system and ensure you beat the bloat this festive season so you can enjoy this time of year and spending time with your loved ones.