5 Reasons to take an Ashwagandha Supplement
Ashwagandha is an ancient herb, and considered a rejuvenating tonic in Aryuvedic medicine. It has been used for thousands of years for its stress relieving, energy supporting, and cognitive benefits. Here are some of our favourite reasons to take an Ashwagandha supplement:
1. Adaptogenic: Ashwagandha is considered an adaptogen, helping the body to cope when under stress and bringing it back into balance. It has been shown to reduce cortisol levels, which are stress hormones that can become chronically elevated. It is useful in supporting adrenal function, our adrenals can become overtaxed due to chronic stress which can disrupt other hormones and cause many symptoms and health issues.
2. Energy: Ashwagandha has been shown to significantly impact athletic performance by supporting heart and lung capacity, sharpening brain function and reducing pain. It is beneficial for those who are training a lot, or struggling with low energy levels. It has also been shown to support muscle mass and strength, so is useful for resistance training and strenuous exercise.
3. Blood Sugar Balance: Several studies have shown that Ashwagandha has the ability to reduce blood sugar levels in both healthy people and those with diabetes. It appears to increase insulin secretion and improve insulin sensitivity in muscle cells.
4. Hormonal Health: Ashwagandha has been shown to support reproductive health, support healthy testosterone levels in males, and support fertility. It has also been shown to support sexual function in both males and females. It also has benefits for thyroid health, supporting sluggish thyroid function and normalizing thyroid levels in those with under-active thyroid.
5. Sleep: Ashwagandha addresses stress-related exhaustion, it is also called “withania somnifera” and in Latin, “somnifera” means the “sleep inducer”. Its ability to lower stress hormones can help to support regular circadian clock patterns, with cortisol decreasing naturally in the evening in preparation for deep restful sleep.
Ashwagandha contains many beneficial elements including flavonoids and antioxidants, amino acids, neurotransmitters, triterpenes and more. These compounds are responsible for many of the benefits of taking an Ashwagandha supplement. Our fermented Ashwagandha supplement is highly bio-available, easy to digest, and contains enhanced amounts of its potent actives.